April 06, 2011

WoW Blogging Challenge, Day 03 – Your first day playing WoW

This post is part of the WoW Blogging Challenge! Originally inspired by Saga at Spellbound.

-----------------------------------

When I started playing WoW, I'd never played another MMO. The reason I signed up for a 2-week trial is lost in the mists of time...it might have been a TV or web advert. Maybe the fates planted a seed of thought in my mind, having deemed that I needed a new procrastination tool.

As the launcher downloaded game data I agonised over races, classes and professions. Eventually, as the last few megabytes filtered through, I settled on a night elf druid. My inner chemist demanded that she be an alchemist so I picked herbalism to complement it.

While I don't roleplay more than the occasional /salute at a questgiver, my druid is both an alter ego and an extension of myself. I cared about her path through Azeroth from the very beginning and accepted the first quest with a sense of adventure I still remember today.

Tasked with the balance of nature, I ran towards a boar, hit Wrath, and rejoiced that I could shoot spells from my hands. I think my love for WoW was cemented at that very moment :D My favourite characters in stories are magic users and (geek alert) I've never stopped wishing that magic could be real. Here I was in the beautiful environment of Teldrassil, marvelling at the landscape and the atmosphere of the place, with a night elf druid who could shoot nature magic from her hands and call arcane energy from the sky. How could I not love this game?

Of course, I had to kill more boars and nightsabers that evening. The map was slowly getting uncovered and I was starting to realise the scale of the task ahead - 80 levels worth of quests, dungeons and adventures. I scurried around Teldrassil doing quests wherever I could find them, the levels flew past and I believe I logged off at level 10, pleased as punch and wishing that it wasn't past midnight!




Last Challenge post - Why you decided to start a blog
Next Challenge post - Your best WoW memory

4 comments:

  1. Funny,
    My first character was a night elf as well, though I chose the Hunter. I so wanted the Nightsaber as a pet and I remember that long trek to get it. When I finally did get my first pet after plenty of deaths due to lack of gear, I rejoiced as though Elune herself had presented it to me. That was towards the end of Vanilla and right before BC. Anyways, welcome to the Blog world, drop by The Rusty Blade sometime as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this reminded me of when I first began logging my adventures. Unfortunately I didn't begin logging them until I hit level 33 on my main. But I logged enough to procure some nice nostalgia.

    My first blog is at:
    http://kdcwow.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

    I really need to continue logging my adventures, but being my last post has my main ding'ing 80 and it being my 'last day' (lol), I suppose there will be quite some time gap in there (obviously now having three level 85s that wasn't my last day). Not to mention Blogger.com stopped FTP, so I need to port the entire thing over to WordPress or somewhere. But guess I can keep blogging on blogger and port it over later (it'll just stay on the blogger servers until then.)

    In any case, this is a great post. Keep up the blogging! You'll appreciate it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mhorgrim - that sounds like a pretty epic start to WoW. Do you still use that character?

    Keith - Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you think so! I'm going to head on over to your blog and read some of your posts but in the meantime, get blogging again. As you say, you can port the content later, and 3 lvl85s should make for a few adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Araosseien - Fraid not, At one point I took a year long hiatus from WoW to go play Age of Conan. Got tired of that game and came back but decided to completely reroll from the bottom up. So I started all over again when Cata came out. My two primary characters are Mhorgrim (Tank Warrior) that just made 72, and Damios, my feral druid kitty at 28 for pvp. I have a ton of other alts but those are the two I use the most right now. It was a lot of fun when Cata came out to revisit the human lands. Some were quite familiar, others had changed so drasticly that the sense of wonder had returned. Same with Damios, when I saw what happened to Darkshore, it wasa whole new world. Mind you I have a pretty seriousl busy schedule at work so can't play as often as I would like. But I enjoy the game none the less. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete